Saturday, September 27, 2014

If you ain't first you're last

I completed my first cyclocross race of the year today. It was hot! It was a fun course for being the first of the year, though some had complaints that it was too this or too that. I finished, and I faired better than expected as #7 out of 13 in the Women's CAT-4 field. My back has still been bothering me, though the foam roller has definitely been helping. My form is awful during the obstacles, especially considering the delicacy in which I approach my back problems (when I'm not straight up ignoring them). I had practiced the cyclocross dismount and remount techniques yesterday, but in the throws of racing, I shied away from the proper form and took the much slower, but gentler approach. One leg at a time, leaning, you know - like if I were getting off my bike after a long day of work, ready to sit down with a cider and some Parks and Rec reruns, not actually racing. This is what is supposed to happen, for all you new to the sport:

However, this is what I most likely looked like to the people taking photos at the barriers:
Except I was wearing a helmet, obviously.

I do realize that I lost time getting on and off my bike, and that I need to use my brakes minimally if at all when riding the sections I'm capable of handling. It was my first race of the season, though, and the only other cyclocross race I've done was two years ago, on a single speed with flat bars. I'm excited for this season of challenges and growth, of digging deep into my psyche to push past the voice that says, "Why???? Just stop, no one will hate you if you give up, you're so tired and thirsty!" (and that voice is quite loud around the second or so lap).

I'm also excited to be reentering the world of team sports at 32 years old (thanks Scurvy Dogs Cycling and Colin Burch - who not only generously sponsors the team but also took the sweet photo coming up shortly), older and wiser and less concerned with how people will judge me as I fumble over the barriers, or pass them eagerly in lap 2 only to be passed back in lap 3, or whatever other drama may surround the sport and my friends.

Today I spent the day outside, and it was sunny and warm. I broke a sweat, then I got the chills, and I finished the race and not even as the caboose. And afterwards, someone offered me a Yuengling, and I drank it, and it was cold. What a wonderful sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment