Monday, July 30, 2012

Week 2, pickin up steam

I'm writing this, somewhat sadistically, watching E. muscle through an uncomfortable Power Yoga with Rodney Yee practice - probably his first yoga effort in months, making it even less pleasant for him. I was going to partake, but I had a pretty awesome CrossFit session at Integrated Fitness on the Southside, my newest playground. I'm still stewing, which is gross, but I've been enjoying the luxuries of the evening - protein shake with Pea Protein (sounds gross, but it only kinda is) with a bit of peanut butter flavored whey protein from E.'s cycling team sponsor, About Time, for taste (you know the pea protein isn't too tasty when I'm cutting it with just a different kind of protein powder), some frozen berries, almond milk, and ice; juice with kale, carrots, and beets; turkey burger with some bbq sauce and avocado (yes I know I've been wanting to kick the meat again but it was the only thing meal-appropriate in the house, save for a salmon burger but I want to save that for a special occasion when I have gluten-free bread around).

I've had a headache for the past few days. No doubt in response to the following: not drinking enough water, not drinking enough coffee (yes, I know how that sounds), drinking too much cider (last night I had 2 at Piper's Pub because they got Arsenal Cider in, then a third cider at the Brillobox to celebrate Steve K's big win at the road race - that's the most I've drank in a really long time), and slipping on my nutritional requirements and eating dairy and bread-like products (ie pizza). Also, however, it should be noted that my headache starts two points - the front of my forehead and the hinge of my jaw - and merges in my temples and can be followed to the back of my cranium, where my ridge would form if I were a wild dog, or where my high ponytail would sit if I were a valley girl and this were 1992. So diet, sure, but also stress (which I went into with minor detail last post).

I've noticed that no matter how tired (remember, I'm also burning on zero....caffeine..) I feel, how bad my headache is all day, even how achy I feel - today at work I was tempted to not go to CrossFit, but they have an online sign-up so I was committed, damnit, and thank goodness for that - once I'm in there and change shoes like a beefcake Mr. Rogers (from cycling to running, that is), say hi to my new friends, and get started on the warm-up lunges, etc., I feel like a champion ready for actions(and also, apparently, run-on sentences).

Today, there was an unusually large group of 17 people (the cap is supposed to be like 12 but a few people slipped through the cracks I guess), so we did this relay-style exercise in teams. It was difficult to see how good I was doing as an individual, besides just trying to do as good as possible, but it was really fun to work in a team setting again. So much of my life is solitary: I work pretty much alone, write alone, even live alone for a good chunk of most weeks. Other things I do aren't necessary solitary but are certainly autonomous (rock climbing, for instance, or yoga). I appreciated the collaborative effort, putting my strengths in sit-ups and lunges against Teammate B's killer burpee power (dude, those are really hard. the first 4 are fun and after that, my body just doesn't really understand what's happening and wants to stop. I found myself standing there multiple times, just staring at the rest of the crew, saying, "come on body, do something, and my body, bless its little heart, was like, "yo just gimme this second" and I had no choice but to concede for at least that second).

Point is, as soon as 6:30 hits, I'm excited for 5:30 two days from then. If I were made of money I might try to go every day, but alas. Right now, I'm no longer applying for jobs, and manuscripts are at a stand still because I have so many out that are waiting for feedback. My brain is too clustered to write a poem (though sometimes it tries at the least convenient times), and I can't focus enough to practice the bass (though I really need to get on that). We all know I go through sports like a high schooler goes through boyfriends, but for the moment I'm totally stoked. The only complaint I have is having hang-out clothes, work clothes, cycling clothes, and now CrossFit clothes all getting sweaty and stinky in this sticky heat, and laundry piling up to the point of actually having to, ugh, wash them. Tough life.

No comments:

Post a Comment