Thursday, July 26, 2012

Keepin' on keepin on

I am hungry so this post may not make any sense, but I've been trying to go to Cross Fit every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and so far so good. I go to Integrated Fitness, which is on the South Side and about halfway between work and home, which is great for the 5:30p class. I hope I can keep it up after I start my new job. I also hope I can figure out a way to afford or supplement once my pre-paid 15 classes are up. Yesterday was the hardest yet - a bunch of pull-ups (though we can use these bands to help relieve some of the weight while we're waiting for our ride to the gun show...similar to the chair use in P90X) and push-ups and squats, then a bunch of dead lifting - which was harder, for me, in terms of correct form than it was hard to physically lift the weight. Then came the Workout Of the Day (or WorkOut of the Day? either day it's WOD), wherein we took a medicine ball (larger than a basketball, but mine was only 8 pounds), threw it up high on a wall in between squats 25 times, ran around the block with the ball, and then did 25 more squat throws, another block run, 25 squat throws, and a final block run. Exhausting! But I did well, about 10 and a half minutes to complete, including time I took to remove my glasses and get drinks of water. Again, I had a harder time figuring out the mechanism of the throw than the workout itself (which isn't to say the workout was easy, at all - it was the hardest one I've done yet). I wanted to throw it like a basketball, but we were supposed to keep it by our chin and spring it as we stood up from the squat. An easier throw as far as exhaustion, but contrary to my muscle memory.

Anyway, one problem I have is that I can always dig deeper. Which is to say, I've never reached the bottomless bottom of my endurance. I feel the pain on a certain plane that I ride, but then can simply say, "Carolyne run faster" and I do it and it doesn't really feel any worse. My issue is, why am I not going that fast in the first place? Why do I say, "this hurts so bad" and then pump out another round? A goal of mine is to be able to automatically get to that deep, dark place.

Oh, in that regard, it may be good to someday not eat ice cream. Just for the day, though, I don't want to get crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment