Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Like a repotted plant

If you've ever worked in a garden or on a small farm, you've probably replanted a seedling or flower. You know that to wake them up, before putting them in the ground, you rustle the roots a little. It seems counter intuitive, breaking up those roots they so need, those roots you know you will later painstakingly avoid while weeding. But it helps them in this new life, to be able to grow not into themselves, but into the vast soil now below them.

So it goes with this body of mine. My roots have been awakened. If you've worked out with me, you know a complaint I have (which certainly and understandably annoyed you), if that I don't really feel the burn and thus have no real understanding of my lactic threshold. I did push-ups the other day until I literally could not lift myself up any more. I laughed, though, because it didn't hurt, I was just incapable, try as I did. On the same token, however, I've been running and thought, "man this is painful, I should run faster and get it over with" and then simply dug deeper into myself and without feeling more pain, moved myself faster. This isn't to say I don't "feel it," I just feel it after the fact, and usually in the long term. I had that pain in my shoulders for months, you may recall, for example, after I excitedly practiced power vinyasa yoga 3-4 times a week.

So today as I rode home from meeting with my new job before work at my current job, I started feeling a supreme tightness in my chest. But today, miraculously, I feel emotionally fantastic so it wasn't the tight-chested anxiety clutch usually holding on to my heart as of late. My chest was sore, finally, from doing push ups every other day! Then at work at my current job, I raised my arm and felt a fatigue so deep and certain. My body isn't quitting on me, it is merely enjoying this day of rest. I have awoken the roots of my being so that I can become healthier and stronger, that I can take a tighter grip on my soil and suck the sweet life from around me (and also, of course, just like plants, I hope to offer the same life to others, in the ways I can. Osmosis and all that).

I feel fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment