Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cabin Fever

Though I've been able to get out and moving these past few weeks in Vermont, I admit I am starting to feel a little bit of cabin fever. I typically have been going for a walk in the morning in between breakfast and lunch, and then working from lunch until about midnight, stopping for dinner and maybe a quick drink with friends. But it's been not only cold, but icy, and I promised myself I wouldn't slip on the ice while I'm here because, well, I hate slipping on ice. Maybe it's the added pain of my bruised ego, but falling on the ice is often more painful than just tripping somewhere. On the positive, I've also had a hard time getting away from my work, and have been writing my little heart out. By the time I'm at a stopping point, it's not a good time to exercise.

Also, I'm lazy, which is something new about myself that I've learned here in Vermont. Thanks, New England.

I have been snowshoeing, though, and taking walks along the river— often breaking trail to catch some gorgeous views and off the beaten path.




It's been nice being away from the noise and clutter of city life, and I'm interested to see how I adapt to being around so many people and noises again. I've been writing a lot about New Mexico, and it seems increasingly where I need to be in the world. All in due time, I suppose. In the meantime, I need more exercises I can do in my studio that are quiet, use no equipment, and require no amount of real space. I found this video from Fitness Blender, who have a number of other great low-impact workouts but this is a great short one to keep my blood flowing:



My SoleusGo is constantly reminding me to MOVE when I'm sitting at my desk plugging away, so these short little videos and workouts such as the one I posted earlier in my blog are great to get the butt out of the seat, if only for a few minutes.

Maybe today will be the day I go for a run? It's supposed to get as warm as 29 degrees today, which feels steamy after the -20 nights and 1 degree mornings to which I've grown accustomed.

If you live in a cold climate year-round, what do you do to stay active and happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment