Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A haircut, a bike lane, and a pizza walk into a bar, and the bartender says...

So I'm still sick (or still very allergic, depending on how you want to play that card), but today I rode my bike downtown to get my haircut by the luminous Autumn at Salon Nuvo (she does a great job, is fun to hang out with for an hour, can go as wacky - or professional - as you dare, and is phenomenal with curly hair. If you happen to go and say I refer you, I think we both get discounts - win/win!). Autumn just completed her first half marathon Iron Man triathlon. I can't even imagine the effort and dedication that goes into a competition like that, to break through so many physical and mental hurdles, and to push through and complete the race. I'm so proud of her, and really inspired by her story. I wouldn't say it makes me want to sign up for something that sounds so painful, but it does open up the possibilities of the human body and how much we can endure.

I also rode down because I wanted to check out the new protected bike lanes that have been created downtown. They look great! It's still a bit difficult to maneuver from the Eliza Furnace Trail to the new protected lane, but I feel like that change may come in time. Pittsburghers do not adapt well to change. The radio station still plays songs from the early 90s as their "modern" rock and even still, Pearl Jam has more than 3 songs, guys. Come on, now. When the smoking ban went into affect, over 10 years later than in most major cities in the United States, people practically rioted. I'd give examples to contrast actually negative where people effectively did NOT riot, but I don't want to be a total bummer.

So I realize these new bike lanes need to be added quietly and slowly, integrated into the structure of Pittsburgher's lives (more accurately, those who live outside the city and drive in, as those are the majority of the complainers, it seems, regarding the new traffic patterns). The one downtown is certainly an excellent start, though, even if it means cutting through some aggressive traffic to get from protected lane to protected lane (which is still far better than going from protected lane to completely unprotected lane), as it goes all the way from Sixth Street to 31st Street. The Andy Warhol Bridge (Seventh Street) also received a new bike lane, and some other bridges aren't too far behind.

A lot of change has occurred in my life this summer, and if I am to stay in Pittsburgh (the future is always unknown), then these new bike lanes are probably the best news so far (oh, my manuscript was a finalist at Four Way Books. That was almost the best news). These lanes not only represent a safety measure for myself and fellow cyclists, but a new shift in mentality, even if it's a ways down the road, and an actually livable city after years of being told that a new cupcake boutique is all it takes to make a place special.

ANYWAY, since I've been home and unable to exercise or think very clearly, I've been trying to utilize my time by cleaning the kitchen and cooking. If you haven't cleaned out your tupperware drawer in a long time and thrown away all the useless lids and lidless containers, do yourself a favor and get on it. I also got rid of a lot of jars that have been sitting unused for years due to their impractical size or, again, lack of lid.

I also made a pizza. A few months ago, Evan bought me gluten free pizza dough mix, on sale at Aldi for $1.50. It's sat in the pantry for a while, because I was a bit skeptical about how good Aldi brand gluten free pizza dough would come out, and having all the other ingredients for pizza can be a bit difficult to have all at once. but my friend Wendy from Wendy Town Farms posted a photo on Instagram of a pizza she was eating and I just couldn't help myself. It was surprisingly easy to make from the box, made two pizzas, and didn't take too long. I topped mine with pesto, tomatoes, goat cheese, and spinach. I tried to get a photo but not only did the first pizza disappear, but I took the second one out to display and by the time I came back with my phone for a photo, there was a big chunk missing.

 Here's the photo evidence, and the remaining pie below:


In classic gluten free boxed baked goods fashion, it didn't have much of a rise to it, so this isn't a pizza dough to purchase if you're looking for a doughy, gooey pizza crust. That will probably come from a homemade recipe. But the flavor was exceptional, the texture was fine, and it held up to a good consistency once toppings were added. Sometimes homemade pizzas can get an unpleasant rubbery center, especially gluten free crusts, but this one came out great. I'd definitely pick this up again. Total time, including prep work, was under an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment