Sunday, November 20, 2011

Good to be home

I've been in Massachusetts for the weekend for a baby shower, and I was pleased to actually get a run in. I should say a jog, since if I were moving at that speed while a jaguar were chasing me, as the jaguar would certainly actually be running, I'd most absolutely NOT be here typing this out in the airport at the moment. But I went maybe 3, 3 and a half miles around my parents' town of Hingham, which is a beautiful place to go for a jog. Lots of trees, plenty of sidewalks that aren't filled with people, an interesting geography with the right size hills and bumps, turns, and old architecture (some as old as late 1600s, as it's one of the first colonial towns, right on Boston Harbor). I didn't have much time to go out, just 20 minutes or so, so I did a loop that I knew would be long enough to feel good about it but short enough to not run late. I came home in time to help out a bit more with shower preparations and take a shower before guests showed up.

It's real easy to not get out and moving, especially if we have just a short time available to us - I was only in Massachusetts for one day (two nights) and also wanted to check out some things going on with my mother, had the baby shower to help out with and attend, and also had some good friends to check up on and catch up with - and it's real easy to convince ourselves we don't have time, that we either don't deserve the personal time allowed to us by exercising or that we do deserve a break and a vacation from it all, but what we really all deserve is to listen to our bodies and if we have energy to spend, spend it. Not to over-due it (sometimes we all certainly do need a break from EVERYTHING), but to allow ourselves that slot of time, however small, to be in our own heads, our own bodies, appreciative of what we can do, how each muscle moves, and allow that clean fresh air to clear our minds, our lungs, and our busy hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment