Saturday, May 28, 2011

What a Week!

I finished Power Yoga at 2 a.m. this morning. I tried my damnedest to do all those stupid extra push-ups thrown into the vinyasas, those awkward second push-ups that make it X, but I really didn't have the energy to do as many as I usually push for (which is all of them because I'm an animal and Tony Horton loves me). The past few days have been a bit wacky. First, I woke up at 7:30 a.m. (after going to bed at around a a.m.) because E. was moving a washer-dryer set with his dad from his dad's wife's house into our house and it woke me up and then the recycling truck came through and that pretty much got me moving and readying the house for the new machines. They got here, we took all the doors and banisters off that we could, and it turns out they measured wrong and couldn't get the washer through the basement door jam. After work I got a call from my sister and then had a celebration party for a friend who just finished his Phd ROBOTICS dissertation (yeah, I know, right? How do I know these geniuses?) and by the time I got home I needed to get the house cleaned up for my Godmother's visit, which was yesterday. (what I'm saying is I missed another workout day).

Woke up early to finish cleaning the house before she and her husband arrived, spent the first half of the day with them, then a few hours preparing for a poetry reading I had organized and was performing in, then had the reading and was heading home for yoga. Bumped into a friend who had been texting E and I about grabbing a drink, and since E. hadn't eaten all day, we went to the bar for food and the slowest service ever (we were in a pretty inconvenient section). Got home around 11:30 p.m., got ready for yoga and by the time it was all said and done, it was 2 a.m. and I was exhausted. I didn't even finish Child's Pose or Savasana. Why do I need to rest when I'm practically asleep and am headed to bed?

The reading went great and I sold two books and I don't think my godparents were too mortified by my reading and anyway everyone else seemed to love it. But now I am so tired and can't seem to get on a good rhythm after the past few days. I even missed this morning's yoga class - I was awake for it, because part of this bad cycle is that I'm still stuck in my moderately early morning cycle.

The reason I'm whining about this is because time management is a big problem for a lot of us and having a good schedule is really important to keep us from going crazy. Creative types like yours truly tend to work better with deadlines than schedules, but that works against us because while some of us may be good at multitasking, we can easily overburden ourselves by not properly utilizing the downtime because we're so exhausted from burning it at both ends, thus perpetuating the bad cycle.

When I've started a new job that has an early morning shift (such as a barista gig), a few days before work I'll just stay up all night and then go to bed at the time I need to, or a bit earlier, the following night. That way I wake up at the time I need to for my new job and can start a new sleep cycle. It hurts but it works. Flying across time-zones is similar. You (lets face it, I) just gotta bite the bullet, feed the monkey, hit the hammer. I'm tired, but need to do Legs Back and Abs. Tomorrow morning, E. and I are driving out to The Mountains where his family has a trailer in the woods, and we're gonna go hiking and swimming and oh yeah a 48 mile bike ride that climbs 1,000 feet in 9 miles (woah!). It's going to be a nice rest from the chaos of life, and hopefully it will get me back on track.

To be honest, I didn't even beat myself up over missing Thursday's workout, and felt good about last night's effort even though I didn't give it the same umph I usually do. It's yoga, though. It's working out at home. It's doing our best and forgetting the rest, even if the rest includes what you can do at 2 p.m. after a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee.

Happy Memorial Weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment