Saturday, October 25, 2014

The long fall of turning leaves

Something I've been learning to appreciate about cyclocross racing is that it is both simple and complex in its competition. As much as it's a team race, there's also the ability to beat one's teammate. We race others on the field, but also work towards bettering one's own skills and time. We try to win, but cheer each other on and congratulate each other on victories and accomplishments, however large or small. When Alice ultimately passed me, I was bummed because I didn't have the juice to chase her and hold it, but was also stoked for her because she was trailing behind me for a few laps and I knew she was really digging deep (and is generally faster than me). Having played a lot of team and lonely sports, I feel like this is a perfect mix between being self accountable but team/sport supported.

Today's course was hard and perfect. 55 degrees F, sunny, breezy; the course itself was almost all uphill, seemingly endless climbs staggered stop one another, alternated with sweeping steep downhills and an almost rideable run-up. The sandpit was rideable also, a fact I learned to late I. My race. While it was painful, I felt strong and confident throughout. My dismounts are finally proper, but I still can't adequately remount. It all takes practice. I was in 4th place with a sizeable gap until about halfway through, when Alice caught my wheel and I didn't have the snap in my legs to chase her during my strong sections - the long climbs. I did hold down 5th, though, and still feel okay about that, especially since I had such a huge gap on the people behind me. I think that commuting and postering have helped a lot with the climbing skills, though I still wish I did better and probably need to lee a few pounds to get myself lighter up the hills. The race winners, who win every race, do the Dirty Dozen, though so I don't feel too bad about not beating them. There are always goals to reach. Alice and Mary, I'm coming for you next. Of course, in the most supportive way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment