Monday, February 20, 2012

I Skipped My Date With Tony To Buy A Yoga Mat

So, I'm new to this stuff. Not just P90X but even the whole idea of having a DVD telling me what to do and when and in my own house...and now writing about it. I wouldn't call myself athletic but I think of myself as fit (like physically active not like sexy). For instance, I don't have a car and my bike was stolen so I walk a lot (and I take the bus and I solicit car rides from loved ones, of course). I play both racquetball and volleyball at least once a week, usually lift weights twice a week, and I used to be pretty fair at bicycling. I used to be more of a cardio-goer until my friend, Mean Justin (Carolyne knows him as Mean Justin...not because he's really mean but because he pretends to be mean and he thinks he's funny while he's doing it), dedicated himself to mentoring me while I become fully acquainted with the lifting world at the gym. I'm 6'1" and recently, I've been weighing in at about 177lbs. For me, this is an accomplishment because I had weighed 165 for many years. I took a picture of my bare torso on day 1 of P90X and if I show improvement I might just post it with the 'results' version pic at the end--if that is, I make it that far.

Although I couldn't do everything the P90Xers were doing and definitely not as fast or as accurate, I felt like I did okay the first day with Carolyne. Truthfully, I wasn't so great at Ab Ripper and at one point I unintentionally farted; it could have been embarrassing but Carolyne helped me laugh about it. The second day was Plyometrics which I really liked but it was hard negotiating a chandelier and a china cupboard which rattled and bounced loudly with every jump while my roommate slept unsoundly upstairs. Yoga was awesome and unexpectedly kicked my butt a little bit. I've attended a few Yoga classes but this was more intense. It may have been because the cats in my house thought it was cuddle hour and would plant themselves under my arched and contorted form every chance they could get. Also, I didn't have a yoga mat and was using a plush rug with floral print and chunks of cat fur. It slid around a bunch and was surprisingly uncomfortable.

I'm trying out this P90X thing with Carolyne because I'm doing Tough Mudder at the end of April and I'm kind of nervous about it. If Tony Horton can't whip me into shape, I don't know who can. I think the hardest part for me will be consuming a lot of beneficial/healthy calories. I allow not having a car to channel me into making bad dietary decisions. I've never been on a diet nor have I ever felt the need. I don't know how to eat well for an extended period of time. Since I've started lifting, I've been drinking whey protein 'shakes.' Long ago, I gave away all the plastic in my kitchen. I shake my protein drink in a mason jar. When I do this at the gym, Mean Justin makes fun of me. Some days, he forgets his shake bottle and he asks to use my mason jar. Secretly, I think he does it on purpose cuz it's way cooler than using those crappy, plastic ones.

Mean Justin and I did chest and triceps at the gym this morning so I skipped my date with Tony and will move onto Legs & Back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment