Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 21 - Rest Day!

By yesterday, I was sick of eating, which is saying a lot for someone who used to get teased by neighborhood adults for liking food so much (which, for the record, I always felt was a bit harsh and exaggerated). Restaurant food is good because it's a treat, but after a few days of it you can start to taste the restaurant funk, and each restaurant develops a spice that permeates all its food whether or not the dish warrants it. E and I had briefly started the P90X diet, but at his mom's suggestion we put it on temporary hiatus while my folks were in town because there would be too much stress - our "official" engagement, my parents checking out what we had done with the wedding thus far, my birthday, mother's day. I was actually looking forward to the diet, to eating well and working towards a goal (I love goals even if I can't reach them), to actually thinking about food and planning meals, to working my body like a necessary machine. The P90X diet is almost like a one of those slide puzzles where there is one empty square spot, and the squares can be slid around spot-by-spot to ultimately create a picture - in this case the picture is a sweet bod that can bench press its weight and climb trees that don't have branches. I guess what I was really referring to was that there are a certain amount of different foods you can eat each day, and the puzzle is to figure out how to eat all of them without eating too much of any of them, and also eat the right amount of calories (which I'm still figuring out how much is enough for me, I tend to get full easily and under-eat, or eat incorrectly, thus the coolness of the diet plan).

So last night, after the punk party, I came home and did Kenpo X and went out with E. for a cup of turkey chili around 11:30 p.m. Today I am sore and happy that I've reached Rest Day #3 and am about to start week #4, Recovery Week. I'm excited to belatedly begin the P90X eating schedule, though truthfully I wonder how well I will stay on track. Like veganism, I feel this diet is something that is a goal to reach, and there may be slip-ups or misunderstandings or temptations. Unlike veganism, however, if I slip up there won't be a hoard of punks and hippies giving me the poo-eye if I'm caught snacking on some gummy-worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment